Tuesday 6th April 2021
colin.hill
Site Admin

12.40pm - Lorna Baldry

Post by colin.hill » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:29 am

Presentation Title:
Teaching and learning with Hypermobility Spectrum Disorder
Details:
We can’t be expected to know about every medical condition but we can be expected to listen and believe. As educators we want the best for the children, young people or adults who learn with us, so when we know they need something we will try to help them meet that need and adjust what we do. We come into contact and work with more people with Hypermobility Spectrum Disorders than we may realise. Often they may not know exactly what they need or their needs vary hugely from hour to hour, day to day, so our awareness and willingness to adapt can help. This can make the difference between an education experience that shapes a future and nurtures potential or the denial of any education at all. I’d like to share my experience as a hypermobile teacher, parent to a young adult with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Aunt to a secondary aged nephew with Hypermobility Spectrum Disorder. I’ll share the experiences of other parents and their children and some practical advice on how we can help our colleagues and our learners who may be on the Hypermobility Spectrum.

Elizabeth Bentley

Re: 12.40pm - Lorna Baldry

Post by Elizabeth Bentley » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:09 pm

Thank you so much. This really resonated with me, as my daughter has EDS and PoTS. Lack of understanding of these conditions led to her being forced (asked to leave) to leave 6th form college. (She had previously been home educated so less of an issue prior to this.) I will advertise this to my fellow school librarians.

LornaBaldry

Re: 12.40pm - Lorna Baldry

Post by LornaBaldry » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 pm

Thank you Elizabeth. I will share it widely on Brightlink's social media too, I hope as many people working in education as possible can see and hear it and get some understanding of the really straightforward ways that they can make a huge difference.
I'm sorry to hear that your daughter had such a bad experience, is she doing what she wants to be now?