Tuesday 6th April 2021
colin.hill
Site Admin

11.19am Kelly Buxton

Post by colin.hill » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:32 am

Presentation Title:
Protecting story time
Details:
The importance of sharing high-quality texts with children, protecting daily story time in school.

Kbuxton

Re: 11.19am Kelly Buxton

Post by Kbuxton » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 am

The Junior school (Y3-6) that I work at has gone through a full transformation in the past few years. From requires improvement, new head teacher and full overhaul (for the better) of our systems, policies and curriculum - a full MOT! Adults and children flourish and grow daily, there is a lot of support and encouragement to take risks and trial new things. Read about our reading strategy https://apageturner.home.blog/2019/07/2 ... o-my-blog/.

As the reading lead, I am passionate about reading: reading for pleasure, for knowledge and understanding. If children can't read, they won't be able to access the rest of the curriculum and the wider world around them. Learning to read is a multifaceted skill that is built over time (Scarborough 2002) but one of the key determiners to positive life outcomes. It is key to our curriculum.

This year (2020), we implemented Sounds-Write as a whole-school spelling initiative, we continue to use it as a before school phonics intervention for those not quite where they need to be. I implore you to check it out if you haven't already done so. There is a KS1 stigma with regards to phonics that needs unpicking. No child should leave school not being able to read.

My talk is all about the importance of reading high-quality texts to children - protecting story time. Here is a blog I wrote about story time in my setting should you wish to read it https://apageturner.home.blog/2020/12/1 ... listening/.

Do you have protected story time in your setting?
Do you look at etymology and morphology of words?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

chloealiceb

Re: 11.19am Kelly Buxton

Post by chloealiceb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:28 pm

Fantastic talk, I could spend all day talking about/hearing others discuss the importance of reading in the classroom!

I am a Year 1 teacher and in my classroom reading is given a high profile, in line with both my school's policies/practises and what I prioritise as a teacher and passionate reader myself! We have independent quiet reading first thing in the morning for around 15 minutes and then I dedicate the final 15/20 minutes of the day to sharing a story with the class. This is on top of our daily timetabled phonics session (of which a shared reading exercise plays a key role), guided reading session and literacy session (which is part of a 2/3 week sequence focused around a CLPE text). We also ensure that there are lots of quality topic specific texts in each area of our continuous provision.
Miss B
she/her
Y1 Teacher - Sheffield