4.18pm Gulshan Kayembe

Tuesday 6th April 2021
colin.hill
Site Admin

4.18pm Gulshan Kayembe

Post by colin.hill » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:25 pm

Presentation Title:
Cultural Capital....Whose Cultural Capital?
Details:
What does it mean for schools to deliver Cultural Capital? This needs to be deconstructed to enable educators to think more deeply about what Cultural Capital actually means and what it stands for. The ultimate question is whose Cultural Capital are we talking about? Is it the Stormzy versus Mozart choice that we are making? Or is it more profound than simply a choice between modern and classical? popular culture versus tradition and the test of time? And where does a drive for a Govian model of Cultural Capital leave class, race, gender equality?

GKaye

Re: 4.18pm Gulshan Kayembe

Post by GKaye » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:07 pm

Hello to all those who are going to participate in this presentation.

A question from me to you to ponder - if you were compiling a portfolio to reflect your 'cultural capital'/cultural heritage what would it include? What would be the key indicators of your sense of identity and how you are?

GKaye

Post by GKaye » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:45 pm

Following my talk, do look up the Beyond the Classroom portfolio example at: https://www.chorltonhigh.manchester.sch ... -classroom

This does not mean it should be done at home - I think these examples can be incorporated into the taught curriculum and most certainly into assemblies and visits and trips etc.

JJagiello11

Post by JJagiello11 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:02 pm

This session has really made me think about all the mathematicians from all over the world who have made a huge contribution to the subject in their ability to make connections between concepts, ideas and problem-solving rooted in their culture.

dlb44

Post by dlb44 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 am

Fab session, I really love they links to EY's and New Zealand's curriculum - it makes so much sense. We have such responsibility to support the development of a broad and balanced curriculum that engages students in a love of learning. My reflections include considering what is missing from the curriculum to support this. I teach Early Years to college and university degree students and the accessibility (or lack of) of opportunities resonates with me hugely. Thank you for such a wonderful session.

GKaye

Post by GKaye » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:59 am

Thank you so much dlb44 and JJagiello11 for watching and even more for thinking about what you can do to as a follow up!