4.30pm Kevin Hewitson

Wednesday 7th April 2021
colin.hill
Site Admin

4.30pm Kevin Hewitson

Post by colin.hill » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:52 am

Presentation Title:
The importance of building effective learning relationships and how to meet learners needs
Details:
Teaching is a full-on job but front and centre is the need to build effective learning relationships. Building those relationships means meeting a set of essential needs.

KevinH

Re: 4.30pm Kevin Hewitson

Post by KevinH » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:59 pm

Did you know that our behaviour is driven by our needs and that in order to fully engage in learning there are four key needs we seek to have satisfied?

Recognising those four needs and the behaviour they generate when either being met or not is something every teacher needs to know. My presentation starts with looking at the pupil/teacher learning relationship can be managed to build effective learning relationships. I then move on to describe the four needs in detail ending with a simple strategy to build them into your teaching (without additional work - honestly!).

My work in identifying and explaining the four needs is the basis for my book, 'If you can't reach them you cant teach them. Building effective learning relationships.' and is available now and reviewed here by UkEdChat:
https://ukedchat.com/2021/03/16/reach-teach-book/

Jennesha29

Post by Jennesha29 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:51 pm

Excellent presentation oh how behaviour is driven by the learning needs, as well as how to Support the learning needs, by managing strategies to enhance the learning relationships. However, do you think this strategy would work in higher education?

KevinH

Post by KevinH » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:59 pm

Most definitely - it works with colleagues too. PBCF is also Please Be Colleague Friendly
Once you look at behaviours as a symptom of need then the pieces fall into place.
Just imagine what it is like in a situation where your needs are not being met - you would find it very difficult to engage, you would need a very strong will and purpose in order to do so.

Here are some of the benefits of having a sense of belonging.

• Creates a team, one of the most powerful combinations of human will.
• Able to relax – important for learning. We are able to let our guard down and are more likely to take risks.
• Able to give more of yourself – we are able to offer ideas and views without the concern of exclusion because of our views and we are more likely to be tolerated by the group.
• We learn and understand more quickly about social/group boundaries, customs and behaviours.
• We learn and gradually understand a common and possibly ‘exclusive’ language. Language is used a lot in developing our mental model, so understanding language used in a learning situation helps clarify the model and establish accuracy.
• Less bullying or victimisation, seen more as teasing within the group than possibly by outsiders.

This is a link to an extract from the book featured by Teach Secondary looking at engagement: https://www.teachwire.net/news/learning ... in-lessons

More than happy to support you in whatever way I can.

Kev